Monday, February 22, 2010

Soup for the Sick

SOUP FOR THE SICK

I am at home today sick. BLAH! I know there have been A LOT of people out sick recently, so I am going to share my recent experiment with Steak and Potato Soup. I took pictures of it, but it was during the few hours before the Super Bowl and I was running around like crazy destroying my kitchen before leaving the house. FUN!

I will list the ingredients first and then go through a few pics and tell you what the heck to do with them.

You will need: green onions, bacon bits, shredded cheese and sour cream to garnish. If you don't care about the garnish (for example, you have a cold and you're near death!) don't worry about these items. Replace them with crackers instead.

For the soup, you will need a steak of your choosing, 5-6 large potatoes (diced), 1 lb. Velveeta cheese, salt, pepper, garlic, and 1-12 oz. can of evaporated milk.

Directions:

Peel the potatoes and dice, if not done already. Put in a pot and cover with water. Boil for about 25 minutes.


While the potatoes are boiling, you can broil the steak (here I have mine cooking in the same pan as some chicken breasts I'll be eating for lunch during the week).



While that is going, you can dice up that cheese, (asking you to "cut the cheese" would just be so wrong. You're in the KITCHEN!)



When the potatoes are done cooking, drain them into a colander. Put back in pot and add milk, salt, cheese, pepper, and garic to taste. Cook on low,  frequently stirring until cheese melts.



Make sure soup does not boil. Dice up steak (or cut into whatever size you feel comfortable with) and add to pot.




And there you have it, to garnish or not to garnish. I hope you're feeling better too!



1 comment: