Wednesday, February 24, 2010

More...

SOUP FOR THE SICK...or FOR THE CHILLY PEEPS!!!

So, I got somewhat motivated last night when I realized I would need something to eat today for breakfast and lunch. I did not feel like my usual chicken and veggies because my stomach is so screwed up from cold meds the LAST thing we need to do is add vegetables to the mix! I decided to go on line recipe-searching for Lemon Rice Soup and couldn't find anything that looked good. So, I made up my own. Ha!

I have had enough of Lemon Rice Soup in my life to know how to make it. I surveyed my kitchen and decided I had the ingredients: water, Minute Rice, lemon juice, chicken bouillon, parsley flakes, and pepper. And, although I never have it in my soup when I buy it from anywhere, some recipes included chicken, and since I could probably use some protein, I did add a chicken breast.

I did not measure the water I put in the pot but


you can see it's a medium size pot filled with water, added maybe two tablespoons of chicken bouillon after boiling. My chicken is cooking alongside it.



Here's me behaving exactly like a person with a cold and hacking cough, all three burners being used: soup, chicken, and rice. As I said, I used Minute Rice so it took all of five minutes.



I threw the rice in with the water to absorb the flavoring.



My scientific self just used all the lemon juice I had which amounted to 3 ounces which is halfway between 1/3 cup and 1/2 cup. I would have preferred to use real lemons but I hadn't really planned this soup. Maybe next time!



Yes, I use the most expensive spices (LOL) I added some pepper and parsley along with the lemon juice. I have never seen any justification using more expensive spices. Fresh parsley? I have used it, but again this wasn't planned and this worked out just fine. (Another "maybe next time"!)



Here we have it all in the pot, ready to blend and get to know each other...



Can't forget the chicken!!!



And, lunch is done!

I couldn't post this until I TASTED it. It was pretty good for Lemon Rice Soup on the fly. Lemon juice MAYBE could have been reduced to 1/3 cup but it was really good and really hit the spot.

If you try it, let me know what you think...



No comments:

Post a Comment